Skylands DISCussion

The NY/NJ Chatting Place
It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 pm 

Just had a random thought and did not look into this at all.. I know they have done long distance competitions for disc golf, but what about M.P.H. competitions?

I'd be curious to see what speeds people can hit throwing a disc golf disc.. which type of throw would produce the fastest speed, does weight matter, etc..

At tournaments, they sometimes have ring of fire in between rounds and CTP. How about a MPH competition for different styles of throwing? Throw into a net or backstop like you do with a baseball at a carnival.

Just throwing it out there.. seems like it would be a cool thing to do...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:17 am 

I've been to a few events with radar guns. I remember Worlds in Iowa. I think Schwebby topped the charts in the high 70's throwing thumbers.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:40 am 

at a health and fitness day at warwick middle school a few years ago i had access to a speed gun, i think courtesy
of the warwick police.

i believe my fastest throw was somewhere in the low 50's, like around 52 mph.

i took a disc to the st stephens carnival in warwick last summer where they have a baseball throwing booth, hoping to get them to measure a disc throw instead of a baseball throw. but my backhand throw was wild, as is my legacy, and i hit a nun in the face who was praying at an outside statue of pope Penus the XVI-th and so the throw wasnt measured but based on the size of the welt on her cheek i estimate i hit top speed of about 85 mph.

dd

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:49 pm 

There was a pitching booth set up at the am world players party in rochester. I was watching double G throw over the scoreboard and out of the park from behind home plate and If I remember correctly he hit high 70s in the pitching booth

NEFA # 1163

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:57 pm 

I'm surprised since major league pitchers throw 90+ mph that a flat disc compared to a round ball can't come close, but then again discs are heavier and DG'ers don't have the professional training of major leaguer's! Love to see what I'd clock with a sidearm compared to backhand. Hope I'd break 50mph!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:51 pm 

I now have access to a speed/radar gun like they use at baseball games. If I can remember, I will bring it to a monthly or something and we can try to play around with it. Seems like we'd get some good laughs out of it at the least.