Skylands DISCussion

The NY/NJ Chatting Place
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:21 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:14 pm
Posts: 402
Location: Warwick
Is Skylands a Club (capital C) or a club (small c)?

im referring to a Club as a group of individuals united because of a common interest, with a formalized process for conducting their business.

im referring to a club as a group of individuals semi-united because of a common interest, operating loosely without a lot of formality and organization.

since we established the Club we have operated as both a Club and as a club. in reality we have been operating more as a club than a Club for the past several years.

i know there has been a lot of grumbling because Club members and others that havent officially become Club members are unhappy with the looseness and lack of organization that has transformed our organization from a Club to a club.

however, although individual agendas may vary, i still believe that we are "united" in that we share a common interest, that being a love for what is a fabulous recreational activity / sport. i would encourage those that have become disenfranchised to keep that thought in mind. it would be ashame if we splintered off into separate groups.

i know one main area of concern and unhappiness is how we handle Club finances. Specifically, a lack of meetings and organization has resulted in Club funds not being utilized. However, this is somewhat untrue. When a Club course has needed funds for capital improvements (e.g. tee signs for Wolfe Woods and stone dust for Wolfe and Buzzys) funds have been made available. Maintenance of our Club's courses that benefit every single disc golfer, whether or not they are a Club member, should in my opinion be the #1 use of Club funds because without these courses there is no reason for a Club. It isnt the worst thing for funds to sit in our Club's bank account until a legitimate need arises.

I have been the safekeeper of Club funds since since the Club formed. Although some lack of oversight and organization has resulted in some very well-publicized issues with collectors of doubles and events funds not remitting those funds for extended lengths of time, once those funds have been deposited into the Club bank account, every single transaction (income and expense) has been accounted for. because we havent had a formal club meeting for awhile that accounting has been somewhat of a secret, and it shouldnt be. the next time we have a meeting i will share that accounting with all attendees.

one of the other major issues i believe exists is a general lack of Club members willing and/or able to assume major responsibilities like running doubles or being tourney directors. the big problem with this is that a few assume those responsibilities for awhile and then become burned out or disillusioned because they wonder why they are busting their nuts so much. i know the feeling well. since i got involved in the "local" disc scene 39 years ago i have organized more events than i can possible count, whether it was a regional Ultimate tournament or an NT event or some other gathering. altho i would occasionally question why i kept giving so much of my time when it felt like so many werent stepping up, i also always felt like i got more out of my donation of time and energy than did the attendees at these events. to see so many folks having a blast fondling plastic was and still is a huge reward and very satisfying. i would encourage anyone that is involved in the local scene that hasnt stepped up to consider that reward as there is nothing like it.

i wish i could donate more time again. i miss running NT events and having the best players in the world come to Warwick. i know that at some point in the near future i will want to organize these types of events again. one of my main goals is to someday host PDGA Worlds or some other major event in Warwick. but im not there yet. i have a mad sick plan that is percolating month by month but other things in my life and at The Oasis need to unfold before i can go there.

in the meantime, i hope that our club can once again become a Club, bigger and better than it has been before. i dont think it would be too difficult to resurrect the Club. i'm willing to devote SOME time and energy to assist.

who else is on board?

_________________
Fondle Plastic Go for Grins Play Well With Others


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 1588
I'm in, I have ideas. I think we can make it better, but if another year goes by without communication and goals for finances the weaker we get.

_________________
Throw Innova!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 am
Posts: 2068
Location: Site Admin / Old Scalawag
Cuts wrote:
I'm in, I have ideas. I think we can make it better, but if another year goes by without communication and goals for finances the weaker we get.


Agreed, an I'm in as well.

We had a successful year selling memberships \ tags. 62 in total. I'm pretty sure that's better than last year. Lets keep that going strong. I recently posted all the current members on the site, I may have missed one or two names from folks not filling out forms.

_________________
Sail'in discs cause aye love tar watch em sail...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:23 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 1588
So, what's the plan?

I have suggestions for course improvements. (mulch buzzys, add alt pins locations at buzzys, re-cement the leaning silver baskets at Warwick, re-cement the Warwick tee signs, etc).


I also have to submit dates to the PDGA for Warwick Amateur Championships and the Warwick Pro Championships. I am hesitant to apply for the dates. Greg will not be TDing the AM event in 2014 and I cannot run both. So, id like to get a plan together soon.

_________________
Throw Innova!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:17 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:10 pm
Posts: 172
Greg is leaving some big shoes to fill, it's gonna take a bunch of us.

I have some idea's as well, I'm in to help run things.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:14 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 am
Posts: 2068
Location: Site Admin / Old Scalawag
reg_waters_7569 wrote:
What does everyone think of a monthly at Campgaw along with a club meeting in November ????


Sounds like a good idea.

_________________
Sail'in discs cause aye love tar watch em sail...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:58 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 1588
in, what day?

_________________
Throw Innova!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 am
Posts: 2068
Location: Site Admin / Old Scalawag
Cuts wrote:
(mulch buzzys, add alt pins locations at buzzys, re-cement the leaning silver baskets at Warwick, re-cement the Warwick tee signs, etc).

Buzzys - We need locks for all 19 baskets as well so we can move the yellow basket to the small rock ledge between 12 and 16. Tee's 4 and 15 need to be rebuilt. Need 4x4's, gravel for tee 4. etc, etc, I'll create a wish list for the meeting. We also need to reimburse Braxton for campgaw #17 tee rebuild. all sorts O stuff to discuss.... I can also settle up with Dan on tag membership fees.

_________________
Sail'in discs cause aye love tar watch em sail...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:12 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 1588
Are we aiming for a meeting after a Mighty Monthly Saturday 11/16?

_________________
Throw Innova!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:38 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 am
Posts: 2068
Location: Site Admin / Old Scalawag
Im in for the 16th, I dont know if Braxton has verified the lodge to be open yet, or knows who to contact, Maybe Scoward can cover that? He's the main contact for Campgaw.

Should we continue the meeting info on this thread or the Skylands Meeting Thread, or both?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=512
It would be good for the club to get a good turnout for this.
Probably should post on the FB page as well when confirmed.

_________________
Sail'in discs cause aye love tar watch em sail...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:46 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:03 pm
Posts: 216
Location: Bordentown, NJ
We also have the "Club Members Only" forum setup where people can have non-public discussions. Obviously not a replacement for face to face club meetings. Right now only the core club guys who run things have access to that so it's a pretty small audience.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 am
Posts: 2068
Location: Site Admin / Old Scalawag
Alex H wrote:
We also have the "Club Members Only" forum setup where people can have non-public discussions. Obviously not a replacement for face to face club meetings. Right now only the core club guys who run things have access to that so it's a pretty small audience.


yep, I just posting on the Meetings string about that. If members want access they need to send me (or Alex) their forum name so I can add it to the access list

_________________
Sail'in discs cause aye love tar watch em sail...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:44 pm
Posts: 144
Location: Mahwah, NJ
jbyrd wrote:
Im in for the 16th, I dont know if Braxton has verified the lodge to be open yet, or knows who to contact, Maybe Scoward can cover that? He's the main contact for Campgaw.

Should we continue the meeting info on this thread or the Skylands Meeting Thread, or both?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=512
It would be good for the club to get a good turnout for this.
Probably should post on the FB page as well when confirmed.


I think Scoward might be the right person to reach out - I'm not even sure who the right contact would be.

Has it been decided to hold the meeting on the 16th? Last I heard, both the Mighty Monthly and DBDD were discussed as events to hold a club meeting afterwards. I'm naturally supportive of both. There was a light discussion about it on the club's facebook page.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:26 pm
Posts: 107
Location: a few minutes from gaw
Probably in for the 16th... wouldn't be able to make a DBD meeting. I don't think we usually get the lodge for Mighty Monthly. It's not worth bothering the county people for.

_________________
hi


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 am
Posts: 2068
Location: Site Admin / Old Scalawag
Yep, I also heard its going to be after DBDDs

_________________
Sail'in discs cause aye love tar watch em sail...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:44 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 1588
I just applied for 2014 The Warwick Disc Golf Championships. October 18th-19th

Here is my proposal to the club:

2 Day Event (Pro/AM event)

Skyland's Disc golf Club contributes $500 total to cover

$ 50 Town Park Fee
$ 100 PDGA A Tier Fee
$ 350 to fund Saturday Night Skyland's Club Member/Players Party

2014 Skyland's Club members will have guaranteed spots (preferred registration)
AM field will be limited, but all current Skyland's members will have spots. (must claim spot)
All Club members will be invited to the party.

Skyland's tag sales generate approx. $ 1000/year to club purse. I am asking for 50% of that to host this season ending event.

The 2013 model was great (2 events, 2 parties) but it is unsustainable.

please post your thoughts, support, dissent, questions, etc. thanks

_________________
Throw Innova!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:00 am
Posts: 2068
Location: Site Admin / Old Scalawag
I think we should support our main event, but in my opinion 50% of our total yearly income is to much. This should be discussed at the meeting. I think one of the main things we should vote on is the percentages of where our funds should be allocated.

_________________
Sail'in discs cause aye love tar watch em sail...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:32 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 1588
In years past the club has paid for sanctioning fees and park rental fees. We thought that this was appropriate rather then taking those fees out of players entries. My goal has been to improve the quality of the event every year. With a limited budget, I will have to make changes for 2014. Those changes may be disappointing to some including myself.

_________________
Throw Innova!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:56 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:17 pm
Posts: 1588
Would we consider allowing members to choose where their $ 20 membership fees go? For example, when a 2014 member joins, they can choose to support the WDGC and get a tag, or choose to fund the club account? Could they still get a tag?

_________________
Throw Innova!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:53 pm
Posts: 827
Location: Nomad
jbyrd wrote:
I think we should support our main event, but in my opinion 50% of our total yearly income is to much. This should be discussed at the meeting. I think one of the main things we should vote on is the percentages of where our funds should be allocated.


Membership dues from selling tags aren't and shouldn't be our only source of club revenue. The other sources of revenue can include course funds from doubles and leagues, profit off sales of skylands stamped gear and discs, and donations from outside sources.

We should really purchase skylands stamped discs and apparel in bulk and use them for AM payouts at tournaments, monthlies, etc. We could also have them for sale online and/or at our events. It's definitely a hassle logistically, but it could be another significant source of revenue alongside tags if a few people step up to handle it.

_________________
Don't miss 12 footers for deuce


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:59 am
Posts: 68
Location: Colonie NY
I'm just an outsider but just to give you some perspective since DisCap started doing payouts ourselves for our tournament our funds have greatly increased. Buying at wholesale to do retail payouts for ams at our tournaments is a good source of income for us. We also have our store out at local clinics we hold and any other club functions. The sales add up.
DisCap in the few years we've been established have created 2 new courses with a few others in development and we have about 10k in our coffers as we still continue to help grow Disc Golf in the Capital Region. We strive to continue our NFP mission statement of "MORE BASKETS!"

_________________
President of
Image
PDGA # 37696
NEFA # 1163


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group