Skylands DISCussion

The NY/NJ Chatting Place
It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Mighty Monthly
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:21 am 

Is May the month for this? Who's running it and what date?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:54 am 

Next Sunday the 22'nd looks like a good day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:19 am 

Is this happening?

I can run the June Warwick Monthly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:19 pm 

I cant run it, but I'll def be there to play it. Sunday is gonna be good weather according to online resources. Sail'in discs off 18th tee tiz a beautiful thang...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 6:52 pm 

from scott howard's secretary:

he's not available this weekend. earl cup at maple hill.

and he's currently out of the country.

shizzle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:19 pm 

I haven't played the Gaw in a few weeks. How tall is the grass? Is it even feasible to play the Mighty layout, or will lost discs be too big of an issue?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:21 pm 

maureen wrote:
from scott howard's secretary:

he's not available this weekend. earl cup at maple hill.

and he's currently out of the country.

shizzle.

Wow, what country is he in?

I might actually make this one, I can run it if no one else will no problem. Who else is coming? Haven't played gaw in a year---

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:27 pm 

Greg wrote:
I haven't played the Gaw in a few weeks. How tall is the grass? Is it even feasible to play the Mighty layout, or will lost discs be too big of an issue?

Hah-you posted the same time I did-I have no idea how gaw will play, I really don't know the quirks of the course. Maybe more local locals can advise on the layout. All good no matter what.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:35 pm 

he's back on thursday night - hopefully making buzzys, but he's gonna be jetlagged.

next weekend is memorial day.

how's june 4 or 5?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 7:47 pm 

mighty shorts 5:30pm tee next wednesday???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm 

Cuts wrote:

You may mean Mighty Gaw shorts tomorrow at 5:30 to check out the course, or for the actual event, or the event next Wednesday..?

Last edited by jbyrd on Tue May 17, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:16 pm 

Cuts wrote:

I was assuming it would be this Sunday, next week I'm on my late shift/OT week and would not be able to make it on Wednesday. What works best for the majority is fine by me, just that I would not be able to attend or run it.

So Moe, what country is Scow in? Is this top secret or is it a country with weird donkey shows going on or something? :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:42 pm 

no secret :-)

he's in england for his uncle's funeral which was today.

so far, i like next wednesday (not tomorrow, but 5/25) at 5:30pm mighty shorts the best...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 8:54 pm 

i like wed. cant make the weekends

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 9:54 pm 

Cuts wrote:

I like this

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:06 am 

I reallllllllly like this...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 8:43 am 

I heard he was in Peru, something about Iowaska.

weeknight monthlies rule. I proposed next wednesday but now cant make it. majority should rule, and the mighty should be played

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 10:42 am 

Seems like most people want a weekday monthly but since I can't make it someone else will have to run it. Also I have the travelling ace pot, it's over $200 bucks so if anyone hits it I'd have to get it to them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:49 am 

I like the weekday thing too...however the pro field is small enough as it is and if Craig and Adam can't make it next wednesday should we consider another day? I would really like to take their money too.

Post subject: scheduling
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:18 pm 

we shouldnt be messing around with scheduling of monthlies the week of the monthly. dates for an entire year's worth of monthlies should be set at the beginning of the year and then we all live with those dates. it's difficult to get good attendance when we're trying to decide on a date the week of the original date.

who can make which days should be secondary to establishing dates well in advance and sticking with them.

with doubles at three courses during the week it seems like a monthly on one weekend day per month makes the most sense.

as for the mighty monthly originally scheduled for this sunday i have no comment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:33 pm 

I agree with Dan we should come up with the dates for the entire year early. We don't have monthlies January and February, so by the first week of February whomever runs the monthly at each course should check the DG tournament schedules and decide on a date that would not conflict with major tourneys if possible.
I prefer weekends for monthlies myself.

As far as small pro field, for the WW monthly last month we had 8 pros, 8 ams, 9 rec. The pro field was without Craig or Scoward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:14 pm 

Agreed, these dates should have been all predetermined. At the next meeting, we can schedule July through Dec and post the dates.

Adam is the only one on this thread who stepped up to run this, he should get to choose the day.

If we want our club events to thrive, more people have to step up and run things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:39 pm 

Cuts wrote:
If we want our club events to thrive, more people have to step up and run things.

I agree with this, and while my first thought was to post something somewhat nasty like, "That's right, Cuts. Why is it the same people over and over again?" I think that that simplifies the issue too much.

There are people, and I don't mean this as a negative, that aren't leaders and won't step up and run events. But they help the club in other huge ways, doing lots of course work and other behind-the-scenes things. It's wrong of me to run my mouth about them for not running things.

But I think that we, as a club, could do things to make running events easier, so that if someone is thinking about stepping up, they would have a very clear idea of what to do and how to do it. Running a monthly is simple, but if we made it even easier, maybe more people would step up to do so.

Here are some things the club might work on to make it easier:
--Develop a standard payout chart for monthlies and post it on the website so people can print it out ahead of time. That's a big part of the intimidation many people feel, I think.
--Get a box or folder or something to use as a "Monthly Kit." It should include everything a TD needs:
*copies of the payout chart
*scorecards
*pencils
*a money bag (or even just an envelope)
*Sign-in sheets for each division
*Blank pages for organizing tags
*Instruction sheet, listing what needs to be done and how it should be done.

The TD would simply hold onto it until he/she passed it on to the next TD. It could be passed on with the traveling Ace Pot.

Maybe if we help people understand how easy it is to run a monthly and make it even easier for them to do so, more people would run them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 3:18 pm 

I think Greg hit the nail on the head and its a great idea to simplify things with payout charts etc. Most of us have a pretty good idea of how things work but no experience or confidence to actually run an event especially concerning payouts. Not that I live close enough to be able to step up myself but I personally have zero confidence in taking peoples money and working payouts because I've never actually done it before. All it would take is a crash course and I'm sure somebody like myself could handle it and wouldn't mind running the show.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:54 pm 

Greg did hit it on the head-the other thing though is whomever runs it also has to post results on the boards accurately.

As far as Cuts saying myself should make the call because I stepped up to run it, the offer still stands-I can run it but it would have to be Sunday, and I think really, the only course that plays OK on a weeknight is Buzzy's because it's the quickest, flattest, and has less dense woods to allow more daylight. I will still go with the majority though but I'd like to see more opinions in the next 24 hours or so please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:17 am 

Sounds like the monthly packet is great topic for the next meeting. We'll get it done

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:33 am 

I suggested this Sunday before I left knowing I couldn't make it. I thought it sounded like a good day that nothing else regionally was going on.

The grass has got to be high out there but should be doable with some "throw and spot" maneuvers.

There have been a few people suggesting a yearly schedule but events pop up all year long that will definitely conflict with our Monthly Schedule. Maybe a seasonal schedule could be slapped together knowing that the dates are "loose" and could be changed with some notice if a more desirable event comes up where a good amount of locals would rather opt for. Scheduling monthlies so the pro field (or any other feild) can be stacked shouldn't really be a factor in scheduling at all imho. What ever is best date for the majority of Skyland's players should be the main factor in determining a Monthly date.

A Month Pack is a great idea. An old Brief Case filled with TD stuff could work. Anyone got on laying around?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:52 am 

Quote:
As far as small pro field, for the WW monthly last month we had 8 pros, 8 ams, 9 rec. The pro field was without Craig or Scoward

Quote:
Scheduling monthlies so the pro field (or any other feild) can be stacked shouldn't really be a factor in scheduling at all imho

Okay fine. I'll just STFU.

Post subject: STFU
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:59 pm 

charlie (and others).....

i hope no one posting here EVER has to truly feel as though they should STFU.

what i really appreciate about our discussion board is that it seems to have evolved in terms of its civility. the best way for us to grow as a club is to invite opinions from every perspective and every skill level. we're quite a diverse group so finding common ground is often difficult.

i hope everyone continues to feel that expressing their opinion, no matter how absurd it might be, is a good thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:59 pm 

Good stuff everyone-

So since nobody actually posted that they would run the monthly on Wednesday I have to go with Sunday and say it's on-that is the suggested date by Scow and I can't be there Wednesday so Sunday it is, haven't played Camp in a long time-can't wait!

09:45 players meeting

10:00 tee-off

Short tees

$20 Pro
$15 Am
$10 Rec

Optional ace $1
Tag Challenge

It should finally be a rain free day according to all weather reports, let's get this one in!

See ya there!

:ching:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:51 am 

Nice Adam! Wish i could make it. Watch out for ticks! Moe had 4 nymphs on her last Saturday.

I hope people aren't really catching feelings out there :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:09 pm 

Scoward wrote:
Nice Adam! Wish i could make it. Watch out for ticks! Moe had 4 nymphs on her last Saturday.

I hope people aren't really catching feelings out there :lol:

Thanks Scow I'm not trying to force anything I just would like to see us get it in. Some can make it, some can't but put Warwick monthly on your calendars when the date comes up, this was short notice for the Gaw though! Sorry about those 4 nymphs Moe--I won't even go there with obvious jokes but maybe this can help attendance! :D

There should not be any bad feelings this stuff comes up here and there but we really have a lot of stuff with a lot of us between 4 courses, work days, tourneys, monthlies, doubles, league and something is bound to get a little screwed up here and there-we should be real proud of our club for these events, we all have input and this wasn't always the feeling years ago. We can look at this as the fine tuning of something that wil make monthlies better than ever. Chuck in no way was I trying to squash your voice, and I'll take this as a challenge now to take YOUR $$$!!! :D
I'm on a roll, cashed and made $58 bucks at WWI~~~

BTW---unrelated but my insane cat Nomad caught a baby rabbit and banged him up a bit behind the ears and I can't let him go again outside so it needs to be nursed to health. It seems big enough to take some stress but too small to be let go-anyone want the challenge? I can bring him to the monthly tomorrow please someone take him. It's very cute, you can name him what you want to. There is not a person on the planet that can't help but love a baby rabbit-you know you want him!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:59 pm 

Bummer-bad news little baby rabbit passed away 2night-he could not take the stress I guess.
Damn.

Post subject: Mighty Monthly Results
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:53 am 

We made double digits 10 showed on a grey day on the mountain.
Layout was mighty from the shorts.

PRO

Troy / 53 / $50
Adam /55 / $30
Nick / 61
Dan D. / 63

AM

Derek H / 63 / $35
Mike C. / 66 / $10
Jeff C. / 70

REC

John / 59 / $25