Skylands DISCussion

The NY/NJ Chatting Place
It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:00 pm 

Dan will be hosting the April Monthly on Sunday April 14th - This is Skylands Flying Disc Club Registration Day and the first 2013 Tag Round will be played!
Be there or miss out on getting a low number to start out the 2013 season!!
Registration is $20. Dan will post more info as available. Hey Now!
1st 50 tags come with caribiners!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:54 am 

howdy all.....

glad to be hosting the April monthly at The Oasis.

ive been laboring to get the course as manicured as possible.

there are still numerous holes and layouts that i can put into place. the priority will be to minimize confusion and special rules. for the monthly we will be using mostly shorter tees to maximize birdie opportunities and reduce punishing holes and long carries over O/B areas.

the property is surprisingly dry and there wont be any holes in play where tall grasses obscure moderately bad shots.

i have been carving 4 new wooded holes at the rear of the property. i would LOVE to introduce as many of them as possible as permament Oasis holes at the monthly, in place of some open holes that will over the course of the year require lots of regular mowing.

i could use some assistance with manicuring and dragging of debris and digging some sleeve holes to make these holes look gorgeous and ready for play. any evening over the next 10 days and this weekend i will be around most of the time if anyone has an hour or 2 to spare. its not heavy work or heavy lifting. i did all of that already.

the course is playing really really FUN !!!

hope to see a huge turnout !!!

dd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:43 pm 

Keep in mind folks its REGISTRATION DAY - so we will have some printed out registration forms but it will help things if YOU print out the form and fill it in prior to the monthly. Be proactive! :)

Click HERE for the form.
After you fill in the form and pay $20 to become a Skylands Flying Disc Club member you get your tag. =D>

Tags will be handed out starting from the lowest number and will be in first come first serve order so get there early if you want to start the season out with a LOOOOW tag!!! =P~

This Monthly is the 1st 2013 Tag round so the tag you get at registration may not be the one you leave with. #-o

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 am 

update time .....

very very excited to be hosting a club monthly this sunday......

the course is in FANTASTIC shape, undoubtedly at the best its ever been !!! it is very dry - only a couple spots where it is a tiny bit mushy. all tees we are using on sunday will be marked with flags by sundown tonite so feel free to come play between now and sunday.

there is still a decent amount of O/B, but all is well-marked and the rules have been simplified so the course plays pretty much like any other course as far as what happens if you go O/B.

we made a few design changes since the last time any of you played. the major change is that the first of the 2 pond holes is different. the green/basket is pretty much the same, but one approaches from a totally different direction. it is now a 225' ace run hole with the water behind the basket instead of to the side of it.

for the monthly we are using mostly shorter tees, with an occasional long tee to add some challenge. sundays layout will feature 2 Par 4's and 2 Par 5's and will be Par 60.

i just found out this morning that the parks department has granted permission for me to install 2 holes in the town park near the back corner of The Oasis. this is HUGE. one, because it gives us 2 really nice holes, and TWO because they mow this area, which means 2 huge areas of my property i wont have to regularly maintain. we may or may not have these 2 new holes in place for sunday.

we also have 3 new wooded holes that we will introduce soon. They will NOT be ready for sunday.

dont miss out on this monthly!! forecast looks nice. spread the word.

dd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:04 am 

How are the course conditions after the last few days of heavy rain? Should we consider moving across the street?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:19 pm 

Totally excited about the changes to the course!! I'm going to have to pass if the tees are slippery though... Last time I played there, I tweaked my ankle/knee pretty bad from slipping on the tees a few times.. and I fell into a small ditch on one of the tees also.

I will definitely be there in the morning either way to at least join the club and grab a tag.

I can't wait until this place is in prime playing condition, it's going to be incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:17 pm 

We haven't gotten a chance to check out the course conditions recently, but did have a few dry weeks prior, so we're not sure how much water the ground was able to absorb. (or not)

Let's see what today brings, and a 60 degree day tomorrow & make a game day decision if we have to move. Nice to have options!

Safety first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:18 pm 

jbyrd wrote:

Tags will be handed out starting from the lowest number and will be in first come first serve order so get there early if you want to start the season out with a LOOOOW tag!!! =P~

This is changing!!! After discussion with another Skylands member I realized tags should be given out at the END of the Monthly. NOT THE BEGINNING. Once play has been completed THEN you get a tag, and the tags will be given out in the order of who wins. This makes things much more fair because you PLAY FOR YOUR TAG NUMBER, not just pick up a low number. If you cannot play then you can register AFTER the monthly is completed. (somewhere around 1 PM) Then the remaining tags will be handed out in the order of who registers. (IE first come first serve) This also helps in the prevention of tag hogging, IE you get a low tag and never play another tag round just to keep the low number! Arrgh! This will also add to attendance to the monthly.

My apologies for the short notice on this, but this IS the right way to do it. Aye.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:38 pm 

jbyrd wrote:
My apologies for the short notice on this, but this IS the right way to do it. Aye.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:18 am 

Jbyrds 1st day on the turnip truck.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:58 am 

roach wrote:
Jbyrds 1st day on the turnip truck.

Correct, this is the first time I have handed out tags. Next year you can do it O experienced one. Ahhh... that's right... never mind. nobody cares... including you.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:07 pm 

course is in fantastic shape.

added the 2 town park holes and they are glorious.

the tees are in excellent shape. grass tees are the best teepad in my opinion IF IF
the turf is in excellent shape. i think we have that condition here right now.

the course is playing very well. it is fun and unique and challenging.

and simple.....

see ya in the AM

dd

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:26 pm 

In!

my discs

https://picasaweb.google.com/1005902257 ... qcyPmObGKQ

Post subject: Results
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:45 pm 

Oasis April Club Monthly Results:

Pro:

silvio sanchez 59 $75
jason hannigan 60 $50
bobby eiinrein 63 $35
joe gara 63
sean bednarz 63
Scoward 64
doyle 69
healy 999

amateur:

jeff padham 61 $75
Chris Glucowski 63 $50
mike padham 64 $35
Jacob najac 66 $25
derek hall 67 $5
nick szym 67 $5
Watson 68
dave huber 69
jeff corbran 70
matt flaherty 73
Scott bandremer 74
Mike Canino 76
Roger Vranak 79

REC:

Steve parrot 72 $35
mike craven 72 $35
rev noah 73 $10
WEB 73 $10
Braxton showalter 73 $10
Tony forder 77
justin walker 81
J-Byrd 81
Scott E 90
Adam Davis 97

31 total players. most bought tags.

mid 50's with a steady tough wind that according to some in attendance "was ALWAYS a headwind".

thanks mike canino for donating discs for the CTP on hole 4. rev noah, derek hall, jason hannigan claimed CTPs.

no aces hit.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:03 pm 

Thanks Dan for running the monthly! I was really digging the changes and additions you put in.
This is actually the first view I'm having of the scores. I guess now I understand why the 2 tag hangs from my bag after today. I'm ready to turn that over to proper hands next week and assume my usual 20s ranking. But for now I will bask in the glory for one whole week.

---------------------

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:22 am 

Thanks Dan!

Last edited by jbyrd on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:25 am 

Congrats Jeff, Steve, and especially my man Silvio! Thanks Dan and Oasis farmers....thanks JByrd for tags! Thanks Kai!!!

Started my day on hole 4, where I promptly stepped into a hidden water puddle up to my ankle.... but parred out.

Ended my day with a blistering triple circle 9 (a new hole high that I'm especially proud of) - the OB inner road on hole 2 just kept whispering to me "throw it here...throw it here....." And I did. 3 times. :roll:

My plan to drop my #19 on some unsuspecting player next week at the tourney? Priceless.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 am 

Great time at the Oasis yesterday! Name of the game is DONT THROW OB! which I did 6 times. I loved the course though. It is hard to accept the OB but you have to realize this is the course. It plays well. You have to play well too :D :D I felt the pars are fair and even holes like 16 and 17 are fair to an AM player. It is a little different from the "pampered" type of play across the street. I love it all. If you want to know what "punishing" OB really feels like go to Cedar Beach Long Island. A ball course layout with OB lines running on every fairway. Embrace it all I say. Those of you who have been around to courses in the country know this well already.

Looking forward to the next one. Thanks to all the Oasis crew. I especially enjoyed the company of the Chickens!

PDGA #52822

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:47 am 

and as i regularly state, "PLEASE PLEASE provide opinions and feedback".

i want the positive and the negative. that is how positive change happens in life and with a disc golf course design.

The Oasis course doesnt exist to kiss and otherwise stimulate my ego. It exists only because i want to create a special, fun, gorgeous, unique course challenging for ALL skill levels. I dont want cookie-cutter and i want to create something not only unique to Warwick but unique to the northeast.

Keep in mind that on holes 6, 12, 13, 14, 16, and 17 we played the long tees yesterday. From reviewing the scorecards last nite it appears as if 12, 13, 14, 16, and 17 were the hardest holes statistically. If I was to have players play a tee appropriate for their skill level, most that played yesterday would NOT play from the long tees on these 5 holes.

So when I say that one of my goals is to create a course/holes appropriate for all skill levels, I would invite those of you that felt the course was too hard to play the short tees the next time you stop by and see if you have a totally different experience (and score).

Going forward, I recognize that i need to make O/B areas more clearly defined and visible. And i recognize that we need to find some time to manicure, widen fairways, and remove prickers. I know i heard complaints from off in the distance as players got prickers up their yip-yo putting from 20 feet from the basket. that obviously shouldnt happen and we will address that.

As for O/B.....the greatest distance one is forced anywhere on the course to carry over an O/B area is approx 200 feet, and that is from the long tee on 16 and 17. if you were to play from the short tees, the longest forced carry over an O/B area is 160 feet (#15 Tee). in fact, here are the ONLY holes one is forced to throw over an O/B area and the required distance to carry:

2: 60 feet
4: 50 feet
15: 160 feet
16: 50 feet

That's it !!! on all of the other holes the O/B areas are left or right of what i feel are amply-sized fairways. i know i feel if i cant throw a 200-foot shot and be safely in-bounds on every single fairway on this course then i should be put down. the O/B areas do NOT come into play if you select safer (less risky) shots and you properly execute. if you want to be able to throw hard / far shots without having to deal with any punishment for an errant shot then this course is not for you. nor is the USDGC course or other courses where it matters where your throw lands.

the wind yesterday was a MAJOR factor. joe and mike will tell you that yesterday was not typical as far as wind goes. i would bet that if we had a typical fairly calm day scores would have been about 5 strokes lower on average. that wind brought the O/B into play much more than it would come into play on a calm day.

i think and hope every single one of you would agree that the course you played yesterday was a HUGE improvement over the version you played on your previous visit to The Oasis. I suspect that every time you come to play you will find the course keeps getting better and better.

until then, talk to me so we can make the course the best it can be.

dd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:08 am 

I don't think 16 or 17 are difficult holes from the tee's played yesterday. More than any other, I felt those two were most affected by the wind. 16 had a crushing tail wind that slammed everything down, our entire card shorted the green off the first tee. You had to aim about 25 - 50 ft past the green to make it there yesterday, which none of us did. Conversely on 17 there was a crushing left to right head wind that made it extremely difficult to make it to the landing zone. In those conditions, it was extremely difficult to score well on those holes. With normal wind conditions, I don't think they're that difficult for the average golfer.

With the two new park holes, I would suggest an even longer pin on the first one. There’s a ridge about 20 ft below the current pin placement that drops about 15 ft. This would make the approach shot alot more demanding and fun imo.

Overall though I would say with the new holes and other changes, its a postive improvement on the course.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:06 pm 

thanks sean.

i "sort of agree 100 %" with your suggestion about the first of the 2 park holes.

without a doubt, from a pure design perspective, that hole would play FAR better if we located the pin
further down into the trees. 20 of the 27 players that i have scorecards for scored exactly a 4 on this hole, along with 3 3's; 3 5's; and 1 6. that scoring separation isnt as great as i would prefer it to be.

the reason joe and i didnt do that was based strictly on safety. the further down into the woods we were to locate the pin, the more the dogpark pen starts to come into play on a skank-yanked approach shot.

where the pin currently sits it is about even with front edge of the dogpark pen, so that a yanked approach shot will almost always fall short of the pen.

one option joe and i contemplated was to put a left-pointing-mando on a tree near the basket and then force shots down a 150-foot long chute into the deep left corner of those trees. then i think it could be a good par 5. altho im not necessarily a fan of mandos, if its done to steer players away from a specific area (in this case to force players to stay left, far away from the dogpark) for safety reasons, and it results in a better hole, i wouldnt be adverse to doing so.

another option is to move the tee up a little so that approach shots would be shorter and we would end up with more birdie 3's.

we wont change it for now. lets see how it plays on a calm day.

dd

Post subject: some stats
PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:55 pm 

here are some random stats. some are very startling.........

Hole 1: there were only 3 deuces. the hole is 250 feet long.

Hole 3: there was only 1 deuce. the hole is 315 feet long.

Hole 4: great scoring separation: 5 deuces; 7 3's; 10 4's; 4 5's

Hole 7: this hole totally shocks me. i know a lot of people think this is a dumb hole. i disagree. it is 200' long
so theoretically you could throw 2 90' shots and have a 20' putt for a 3. There were only 3 deuces on
this hole. Conversely there were 4 5's.

Hole 9: i guess throwing a slightly anyhzer backhand throw 250 feet is a struggle. Only 3 deuces.

Hole 11: exactly as i hoped: 6 deuces; 16 pars; 5 4's. for a 185' hole.....

hole 12: once this hole is cleaned up of the prickers it will be a very special hole. check out this scoring separation:
1 4 (joe gara) 11 5's; 10 6's; 3 7's; 1 8; 1 9 scoring average = 5.81

hole 13: 6 3's; 12 4's; 7 5's; 1 7; 1 8 scoring average = 4.3

hole 14: 6 4's; 15 5's; 4 6's; 1 7; 1 8 scoring average = 5.1

hole 16: 1 2 (derek); 4 3's; 8 4's; 3 5's; 8 6's; 3 7's scoring average = 4.8
should the green be larger?

hole 17: i love this hole. only 3 4's; 6 5's; 12 6's; 5 7's. scoring average = 5.7

hole 18: not a single deuce on a 295' hole. 11 3's; 9 4's; 4 5's; 1 6; 1 7 scoring average = 3.9

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:12 pm 

Thanks to our hosts. As far as my opinion of the course, I'll do my best to articulate.

Pros: I like the strategy aspect of the course. Every shot needs to be placed. Even though there were some long holes, I only used my destroyer 3 times. I also liked the use of the natural and man made obstacles.

Cons: Every shot off the tee was straight or a righty hyzer and most approaches were as well.

I have mixed feelings about all the roped off OB. I never played a course like it so I don't know if I feel this way because it was different or if I didn't enjoy it. There are also a lot of rules. Had Mike not been in our group, I would not have enjoyed it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:51 pm 

thanks silvio. your feedback is very valuable, given you beat the snot out of the rest of us......

a few comments.....

you are right about almost all of the shots being straight. i need to look at that because that is something i would want to address. hole 1, 5, 9, 15, and 17 from the tee, altho being somewhat straight, lend themselves to a slightly anhyzer or sidearm shot. hole 2, 7, 11, 13, 14, 16, and 18 play like righty hyzer holes. hole 3, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 play either with choice or are neutral. so i think it isnt quite as hyzer-friendly as you might think at first glance.

but i absolutely do agree as i think about the course/holes now that i would like to introduce more less neutral or hyzer-friendly shots.

as for rules it will be a constant evolution to have a unique course that doesnt require an encyclopedia

thanks!!!

dd