Skylands DISCussion

The NY/NJ Chatting Place
It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: The Oasis at Warwick
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 3:33 pm 

Wanted: A few disc golfers interested in re-locating to Warwick, NY for the purpose of becoming co-owners and investment partners in an “oasis” where individuals and families from throughout the community could gather for communal agricultural endeavors where they figuratively and literally “reap the fruits of their labor”; participate in inexpensive, convenient, environmentally-correct passive recreational activity; help create a unique residential homestead; and where they can enjoy healthy food and reside in a casual, fun, unique minimalist self-sustaining communal situation adjacent to the world-class Warwick Disc Golf Course.

The location of this particular property, the “lay of the land”, and the various structures and uses already in existence on the property make this particular property ideal for the creation of this “oasis”.

A key component of this oasis would be the creation of a 3rd fantastic Disc Golf course on this Warwick (NY) property.

Individuals with serious curiousity about the amazing potential associated with this venture; the ability to invest a minimum of 100k; and/or a personal skillset that might include agricultural, food operations, or basic mechanical and construction aptitude and experience should contact me directly to discuss my ideas further.

Dan Doyle
Warwick, NY
discgolfdan@yahoo.com

Post subject: update
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:31 pm 

Momentum is still building to transform this project from long-time fantasy to soon-to-be-reality. An offer on this property has been accepted and financial and legal activities are underway to hopefully close on the property sometime this Spring.

And part of that announcement would be that a new Disc Golf course will be designed directly across the street from the Warwick course, along with a pro shop and other amenities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:38 pm 

Awesome Dan!

Good luck with everything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:39 pm 

Wow ... sounds like a dream. Wish I had a 100K! Good Luck!

Post subject: clarity
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:40 am 

one does not need 100k to participate. we have the initial purchase funds covered. assuming we make this happen one of our visions is that what we manage to create over time will be so much a function of the collection of people that come to play in our sandbox and what energy and passions and skillsets they possess individually and collectively. one wont need to bring $$$ with them to contribute in a win-win manner.

the dirty little slogan i came up with is "Good Vibe. No Dicks".

maybe that could be a name for the commune: "GoodVibe NODicks"

dd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 pm 

okay that is good news for miguel and for me.
we have save 150 dollars US so far. only we need 50 dollars more to attend oasis.
but if is not 100 per a person than we can join now.
please tell how i can join group
also miguel is ask what no dicks is meaning. he might not want to join any more now

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:17 pm 

you cant join the group . sorry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:52 pm 

That's awesome Dan. I also wish I had that kind of loot to give you. Good luck and best wishes. If you need any help other than a significant monetary donation just ask I'm there.

my discs

https://picasaweb.google.com/1005902257 ... qcyPmObGKQ

Post subject: clarification
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:35 pm 

hey folks....

im sensing i need to clear up something with regard to the venture across the street.

the original "offer" was thrown out there for folks to invest in what could become a pretty cool potpourri of activity. since that time three of us were able to access the funds necessary to make the initial purchase happen. where we go once we own the property and what evolves over time is not etched in stone, although we have so many cool ideas.

we believe we can create an amazing vibe there. amazing vibes are not a function of finances, altho funds do allow us to do certain things or do certain things sooner rather than later.

once we get further along (contract, mortgage approval, etc) we'll be better able to share so much more about our vision. but we do know that what we create will be a sum of all the energy and enthusiasm of those that come play in our sandbox. and again, this is NOT a function of financial means. we're not about who has money.

hope this helps clear up any misunderstandings or rumors i may have helped perpetuate....

dd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:17 pm 

A very cool vision to say the least. Im not in a financial position to invest money, but am very interested in how this unfolds.
I would like to contribute somehow, just not sure how yet. Dan, dont ever stop your visions, they lead to rainbows for all disc golfers.

Post subject: interesting
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:13 pm 

interesting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:43 am 

Any updates on the potential purchase yet? I know real estate deals can sometimes take a while, but this is pretty exciting.

Post subject: update again
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:56 am 

still moving forward with trying to make this project a reality.

i move two steps forward and then take a step back. it's quite unlike any venture i've ever undertaken and given the magnitude and the squirrelly nature of this property there's lots of due diligence that needs to happen. a lot will be clearer within the next week.

best guess at this point is a closing in mid to late august.

the magnificence of this property and the endless possibilities continue to astound me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:45 am 

hopefully within the next 3 to 4 weeks i can say "Dan bought the farm" and it is a good thing.

tucker, gara, and doyle in the homestretch, which took a lot longer than we imagined.

it would be a wonderful thing to possess this gem of a property in time for Animalfest.

assuming no further hiccups, and further hiccups are still possible, my hunch is a closing date
the week of october 3rd is highly likely.

then the fun begins.

dd

Post subject: another warwick course
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:48 am 

oh.......

and if this purchase happens, we're going to be able to create one amazing, fun, top-notch, gorgeous course that will perfectly complement the Animal course and Wolfe Woods courses across the street.

and serve food and ales, sell discs, and provide overnite crash options.

Post subject: Re: The Oasis at Warwick
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:00 pm 

This is sounding very cool!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:13 pm 

This sounds so rad. I will help out any way I can.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:28 pm 

I think I'll be buying another tub of Poison Ivy Wash soon... 8-)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:58 am 

Awesome

my discs

Post subject: Rental
PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:40 pm 

we are closer and closer to making this venture a reality.

altho we havent worked out many of the details yet, it is possible that we will be seeking a tenant for one of the rental houses on the property. we have a few options and i need to work out these details with Joe and Becca first.

however, if you are interested in checking out the one rental house that might be available as of November 1st please either PM me or respond on this forum.

we will be huge proponents of using a barter system as much as possible as we move forward so if you have special skills appropriate for what we have in mind on this property we'd be willing to consider trading a rental discount for value in kind that you bring to the table. E.G. for every hour you work in the pro shop or man the grille you get a break on your monthly rent.

dd

Post subject: course design
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:46 pm 

as the closing date theoretically approaches i have been spending more time wandering an amazing 47-acre plot of land, pondering what can truly be a unique, fun, and challenging 18-hole or 27-hole course.

whenever i design a course i like to wander the land as much as possible before doing a design to see how the land "unfolds itself" or "presents itself to me". what i mean by that is i see things differently everytime i am there. i see different rock formations and stone walls. i see the way the wind and the light is different. i see what areas are occasionally or always wet or dry. i see where the wildflowers flourish.

that being said, i came up with an interesting idea yesterday that just could work on this site. if i put in 27 baskets (and there is PLENTY of room to allow for 27 holes) i could create a 27-hole course with average length holes, but i would also design it in a way that i would also have a few 18-hole "courses" within those 27 holes. for select tourneys we would leave out 9 holes or in some cases combine some of the holes almost like creating a safari course.

obviously no one has really seen the land yet besides joe and becca. but i would be curious to hear any opinions about interesting design ideas you'd like to see incorporated. or interesting kinds of holes. the property has open fields, wetlands to flirt with, thick woods, two ponds, and some slight roll to the terrain in a few places. any cool things you've always thought of seeing on a course that i could incorporate?

i'm thinking that my #1 priority will be to somehow create a course that is fun and not too intimidating for beginners, yet have a configuration that will be worthy of major pro events too.

all feedback welcome.

dd

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:37 pm 

1. Any large trees that are cut down could be used to create barriers (like at Tyler)
2. playing over a pond on an approach shot to a green is always fun, because if your short your wet, and if you throw long your throwing back towards the pond. wind can come into play major with this scenario as well... think gold course @ Winthroph
3. don't leave out the possibility of 2 baskets per hole layout like on the animal course
4. wetlands are good off the tee, forcing a decent drive to clear it, I see that a lot in both disc and ball golf
5. have a least one big bomb air out on the rolling hills (17 animal), but try not to duplicate any holes / layouts already at the animal
6. Dont know what hole # at the valley course at blue mountain, but the basket mounted between the 3 trees is a total blast

thats all I got without seeing it...

Post subject: Re: course design
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:46 pm 

Danimal wrote:
i came up with an interesting idea yesterday that just could work on this site. if i put in 27 baskets (and there is PLENTY of room to allow for 27 holes) i could create a 27-hole course with average length holes, but i would also design it in a way that i would also have a few 18-hole "courses" within those 27 holes. for select tourneys we would leave out 9 holes or in some cases combine some of the holes almost like creating a safari course.

J Park is like this. We have 28 holes 2 hole 12's 12 and 12b to allow for 18 hole layout and a 27 hole layout. We have also made a 2nd 18 hole layout. We have J East 4,5, 9-24; J West 1-12b, 22-27; and J27 1-27 no 12b; this is great for variety. We flip flop the layouts at leagues every week so it's not the same week in and week out and when the day light allows we run leagues with 21, 24 and for a few weeks all 27 holes. Variety is the spice of life. Good luck on the Oasis project and I can't wait to be able to come down to Warwick and be overwhelmed with the possibilities of what course, and what layout to play.

NEFA # 1163

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:55 pm 

on the other hand maybe i just do an 18-hole course with multiple tees, with the illest of the layouts being like a Par 75 or something totally nasty. i think we need a Par 6 hole in warwick.

Breaking News:

as of 10 minutes ago i have been cleared to close! just need to work out dates with attorneys. should happen within the next 2 weeks.

wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowwwwwwwwwwwww............

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:22 pm 

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

my discs

Post subject: wowowowowowow
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:33 pm 

Closing on The Oasis at Warwick scheduled for Friday, November 4th at 9:00 AM.

if you hear loud screaming that afternoon coming from a property across the street from the disc golf course you will know it finally happened!!!

i think we may have to start thinking about our first walk-thru of the property and our first party.........

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:47 pm 

Awesome Dan!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:11 pm 

I don't have much input on course design but you should look into getting some of those bright colored powder coated baskets, those things are hot! Just an idea.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:27 pm 

I have 18 cherry red baskets anxiously awaiting a proper planting.
I intend to have Hole #1 ready for play within 48 hours of the closing.

Post subject: Help with Moving
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:52 am 

with my closing set for friday november 4th, my goal is to get most of my larger possessions moved
into my new residence at The Oasis between the 4th and the 6th, with Sunday november 6th
probably my main moving day.

so it is beg and grovel time, which is hard for me to do.

i am in need of some bodies to assist me with the moving process. i dont have too much stuff.
whatever i have is in one of two locations in west milford or in warwick. i am thinking i will probably
have to rent a U-Haul for the weekend just in case we get rain.

i will spring for food and beer for the moving crew. i dont think it will be an all-day process.

any willing assistants out there?

dd

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:42 am 

Wow! Congrats!

Course design: Here are my opinions:

Start with a solid, always playable, fun 18 hole layout with beginner and pro tees. Let players of all skills play it for 1 year and get feedback. After that test period, then you can really make informed decisions and cut down on wasted time.

Use sleeves for baskets (Dont cement in like Wolfe Woods). One thing Buzzys/Animal/and Wolfe lacks is the ability to have different pin placements.

Use stone dust for tees (no fly pads ever). Stone dust is so easy and works great.

Think Maple Hill when it comes to incorporating a beginner course and a championship course on the same track.

Elevated pins like USDGC are cool.

Proper use of the ponds will increase pro shop disc sales :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:16 pm 

Cuts wrote:
Proper use of the ponds will increase pro shop disc sales :lol:

too funny & great feedback all around.

one of the few holes I have envisioned so far is a safari that starts from the old Blue #4 tee box..

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:29 pm 

Keep us posted on the details of your move. I know Sunday is out for me as my wife is running the Marathon. I will help if I can.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:17 pm 

Danimal wrote:
i think we need a Par 6 hole in warwick.

Agreed.
Danimal wrote:

Breaking News:

as of 10 minutes ago i have been cleared to close! just need to work out dates with attorneys. should happen within the next 2 weeks.

wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowowwwwwwwwwwwww............

Congratulations Dan Doyle! Totally Awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:25 pm 

We did it!!!!!

The oasis at warwick was official as of 10:00 this morning.

Joe gara and becca tucker and dan doyle will be running full speed to make this amazing property a fun place
To Eat Grow Play & Crash.

We are planning on hosting an Ice Bowl event this winter.

Lots more to share as we develop a short and long term plan.

Let the fun begin!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:52 am 

Awesome!, congrats!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:42 am 

Joe, Becca, and I are excited off the charts....

we're strategizing today to create a basic game plan.

Hole 1 is playable, altho for now with a portable. my goal is to have the first 3 baskets in the ground within a week from now. then 3 to 5 more by Thanksgiving.

we're thinking we will probably host an Ice Bowl over the winter too.

feel free to stop by anytime. i will probably be living there full time by the end of next weekend.

we did it!!! WOOHOO!!!

dd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:28 am 

Awesome; i'm stoked for you guys. I look forward to the opportunity to come by, scope the place out, and lend a hand.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:43 pm 

rev. noah wrote:
Awesome; i'm stoked for you guys. I look forward to the opportunity to come by, scope the place out, and lend a hand.

YARRRR. =D>

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:12 am 

CONGRATULATIONS!

perhaps I can move from newburgh over to the oasis in time..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:25 pm 

we are now seriously seeking interested folks to rent our vacant house.

it is being renovated and will have all new floors and fresh paint.

rent would be $1000 per month plus utilities.

it will be available 12/01.

contact me if interested or if you have questions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:07 pm 

I moved earlier this year.. I won't have a chance to move again until 2012.. perhaps there will be something opening up again at that time. I looked at a couple places in Warwick / Florida but ended up back in Newburgh..

45 min commute to skylands..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:09 am 

discgolfdan wrote:
we are now seriously seeking interested folks to rent our vacant house.

it is being renovated and will have all new floors and fresh paint.

rent would be $1000 per month plus utilities.

it will be available 12/01.

contact me if interested or if you have questions.

I'll be in Newburgh over the winter.. After the winter is over I will be ready to move again. I doubt you will have anything open at that time, but I will be looking to move closer to the course. While I live very close to the Beacon course, my heart is in Warwick.
I've played in Orlando, LV, and Colorado, and Warwick is the best I have ever played by a long shot.
ps- I can see the first hole from the the 3rd tee at Warwick - awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:37 pm 

still seeking a tenant. we will miss having the house ready for december 1st (tomorrow) but work is continuing
on rehabbing the place and it will have all new floors and the entire interior will be freshly painted and upgraded.

a mid-month occupancy is definitely do-able.

living on-site and being able to walk to three courses is a disc golfers dream......

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:40 am 

discgolfdan wrote:
still seeking a tenant. we will miss having the house ready for december 1st (tomorrow) but work is continuing
on rehabbing the place and it will have all new floors and the entire interior will be freshly painted and upgraded.

a mid-month occupancy is definitely do-able.

living on-site and being able to walk to three courses is a disc golfers dream......

I dream that dream..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:58 am 

the little white rental house is now available for rental. it has been totally re-habbed inside.

we're seeking $1000 per month, which includes your heating oil. you pay electric and cable.

or $800 per month plus providing some monthly gruntwork to get the course and garden and grounds
in place. i have some serious interested non disc-golfing folks expressing interest but we'd rather
have a disc golfer, especially if you have some special gruntwork skills.

reach me ASAP if you are interested. the rental is available now or as of 1/1/12.

dd

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:06 pm 

discgolfdan wrote:
the little white rental house is now available for rental. it has been totally re-habbed inside.

we're seeking $1000 per month, which includes your heating oil. you pay electric and cable.

or $800 per month plus providing some monthly gruntwork to get the course and garden and grounds
in place. i have some serious interested non disc-golfing folks expressing interest but we'd rather
have a disc golfer, especially if you have some special gruntwork skills.

reach me ASAP if you are interested. the rental is available now or as of 1/1/12.

dd

I was there on Sat, and loved the place.. I live in Newburgh, work in Middletown, and would like to live at the Oasis.. I have a girlfriend that also throws the discs.. What is the update on housing? Anything available?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:28 am 

nothing available at the present time.

maybe its time to start building some cabins for rental...........

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:29 pm 

hey folks......

joe and i could use as much human assistance as possible in our quest to get 18 holes playable at The Oasis as soon as possible. we've got umpteen projects going on the homestead and our garden is taking up a lot of our spring time.

i will be spending sunday afternoon working on the next 4 holes. who is able and willing to lend some support after the Wolfe Woods monthly? i probably wont play in the monthly so i can get a good start that morning on course work.

the plan would be to work as soon as the monthly concludes and then knock off about 5:30 and get in a 9-hole round.

it would be HUGE to have 13 holes done by sunday nite and not unrealistic if we get a decent number of assistants.

THANKS!

dd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:31 am 

A belated Congrats on the property!! You are making me want to move back up to the West Milford/Warwick area even more now. IF I can get a solid client base and convince my girlfriend I'm definitely going to have to get up there.

keep me posted if you decide to put in any more rentals on the property.
Also do you have any ideas for what you'll be carrying in your pro shop? i know someone who has a disc golf apparel line :).

I know this doesn't mean much with me living about 3hrs away, but if you might need anything from me feel free to ask. If I can get up there at some point I'd love to help out.

Congrats and I hope to see you and your new property soon!!!